Match Report Rugby: Bristol Uni 1st Team vs Team Bath 1st Team

21 October 2011

Fixture: Bristol University 1st team vs Team Bath Rugby 1st team

Date: Wednesday 19 October 2011

Score:  Bristol University 3 – University of Bath 39

Venue: Coombe Dingle Sports Complex, Bristol University

After their impressive first outing, the University of Bath’s 1st team were eager to carry on momentum by travelling to their local rivals Bristol.

Last year Bristol University won the Southern Premiership, ensuring that this would be a tough game for the University of Bath to win.

From the very first whistle, the University of Bath, led by Captain Jamie Collins, imposed themselves upon the opposition and enjoyed the majority of possession right from the kick off.

Multiple phases of possession followed, really frustrating the opposition and the deadlock was broken when a penalty was conceded by Bristol University’s fly half which resulted in a yellow card for him, and three points to the University of Bath converted by fly half Zak Vinnicombe.

The pressure was still firmly on the home side with a series of dominating scrums from the visitors set up the first try of the game when the University of Bath’s back line showed good skill and precision resulting in a well worked try for scrum half George Drury.

Vinnicombe failed to convert, meaning Bath led by eight points to nil.

Team Bath’s scrum continued to dominate, again resulting in a try scored by full back Toby May, who put in yet again a very solid performance. Vinnicombe converted this try with a superb kick from wide out.

Nearing the end of the first half, Bristol managed to earn themselves a penalty which was converted, meaning the half time score was Bristol University 3 – University of Bath 15.

Early in the second half, Bath continued to dominate possession.

A fine solo effort from Vinnicombe resulted in him weaving his way through the defence and scoring under the posts making the conversion easy for him to convert.

Moving on from the flare in the back line, the forwards were mightily impressive, relishing every chance they got to show their physicality. This resulted in such pressure, that a series of dominating scrums close to Bristol’s line led to a penalty try.

As the match progressed, Bath continued to maintain pressure both in the forwards and the backs.

As the Bristol players tired, the Bath bench came into their own, stepping up the speed and intensity which resulted in Bath’s winger Sam Miller outpacing the opposition cover and running under the post.

Replacement fly half Ed Hainsworth converted making the final score Bristol University 3 – University of Bath 39, another outstanding win from all involved.

Partners and Suppliers