Match Report Futsal: Premier League Western

28 January 2012

Fixture: BUCS Futsal 2011-2012 – Premier League Western

Results: See below

Date and time: Sunday 28 January, all day

Venue: Hartpury College, Gloucester

Team Bath travelled to Gloucester for their third and fourth BUCS qualifier.

After their convincing performance in their first and second game at the end of last year, two wins were expected, especially against the two teams that were bottom of the table.

University of Bath 6 – 2 Bournemouth

Since Team Bath could not train properly for the last two weeks, it took them a while until they found their rhythm.

Once this happened, they started to combine better and kept the ball in their possession resulting in a couple of dangerous shots from wide areas, one of which led to the first goal by Ingram.

Shortly afterwards, Gardiner added a second one after brilliantly controlling the ball at the edge of the “D” and finishing off with a great strike into the top left corner.

Since the pitch was very small, Parkes instructed the team to shoot more often, especially from wide areas, as there was not enough space in the middle to set up movement patterns.

This piece of tactical advice gave Bath, who never seemed to be in danger of giving the game out of hand, a comfortable lead.

However, there were short spells when Bath was lacking concentration. This was exploited by Bournemouth who scored two goals which should have been avoided from a defensive point of view.

Summing up, a solid performance, but nothing exceptional.

University of Gloucestershire 2 – 6 University of Bath

Instead of continuing as in the game against Bournemouth, i.e., shooting from wide areas and waiting at the back post, Bath tried again to play short passes through the middle which proved to be the wrong tactics.

Gloucester went 1:0 up after winning the ball in the middle and catching Team Bath on the break.

The game was quite messy, neither of the teams was able to control the latter and there were quite a few changes on both sides.

Luckily Team Bath used theirs more efficiently so that they could go into half-time with a 4:2 lead, after goals from Ingram (x2), Yilmaz and Ott.

However, Gloucester were still very much in the game and made the better impression at the end of the first half. Bath improved in the second half, but could not dominate.

The game seemed to be decided when Bath converted an indirect free-kick from close range, but, unfortunately, the goal was disallowed.

The referees, who admitted making a mistake at the end of the game, pretended that no Bath player touched the ball before the shot.

Nevertheless, Bath scored two more which one of which was a fantastic strike by Ingram who scored a hatrick.

Team: Lima (GK/C), Ingram (MOM) , Dorin, Yilmaz, Gardiner,  Davies (GK), Kiyamov, Ott

Partners and Suppliers