Match Report Hockey > Team Bath Buccs v Fareham

21 October 2013

Match Report > Now Pension West Conference

Fixture > Team Bath Buccaneers v Fareham

Date > Sunday 20 October 2013

Score > Team Bath Buccaneers 7-5 Fareham

Venue > University of Bath Sports Training Village

Team Bath Buccaneers picked up their second Now Pensions West Conference win in a row on Sunday as they defeated Fareham 7-5 in a crazy game at the STV.

Looking to build on last weekend’s fine win at Birmingham University, Jody Paul’s men raced into a three-goal lead after a superb opening spell of hockey. Youngster Ed Horler opened the scoring in the 16th minute with a composed finish past George Harris after some excellent work from Ben Carless. Horler has taken to National League hockey like a duck to water and this was his 5th goal of the season.

Matt Ruxton made it 2-0 two minutes later when he reacted well to finish a rebounded Tim Davenport penalty corner effort. Another youngster, Will Seward, then got his first National League goal, smashing the ball past Harris after an assist from Matt Boote.

The visitors pegged Buccs back in the 25th minute when Jamie Rawlings picked up a penalty corner rebound and fired past Buccs stopper Tom Skinner to make it 3-1. Buccs soon re-established their dominance and they went into the half time break leading 5-1 after Davenport scored a four minute brace. His first was a simple finish after Nik Rieger’s solo run and his second, a high penalty corner flick.

The scoring didn’t let up in the second half and Fareham struck first through former Buccs player Rob Wilson. Wilson’s mishit looped over Skinner to give his side some hope early in the second half.

Two minutes later Davenport had his hat-trick and Buccs had a 6-2 lead. Ben Stone took two Fareham defenders away before sliding the ball through to Davenport who rounded Harris and fired home.

Fareham then scored twice in two minutes to reduce the arrears and ensure a nervous finish to the match for Buccs. James Seager converted a penalty stroke before Shaun Baker finished from close range to make it 6-4.

Davenport made it 7-4 with his fourth of the match from the penalty spot before another Seager penalty completed the scoring with three minutes remaining.

Buccs will be delighted with the three points and with the way they went forward. Fareham had no answer to the movement and passing that Buccs produced and they will hope to continue this form when they take on Indian Gymkhana on Saturday. Gymkhana had a superb win at Exeter University on Sunday and Buccs will have to be at their best if they want to keep track with the leading pack in the division.

Partners and Suppliers