Join us for free entry, workshops and taster sessions as Colin Jackson officially opens refurbished Team Bath Gym
Athletics legend Colin Jackson is returning to his former University of Bath training base on Wednesday [September 7] to celebrate National Fitness Day by officially opening the extensively refurbished Team Bath Gym.
There will be free access all day for visitors to the new-look fitness facility, which has been totally renovated and kitted out with state-of-the-art equipment by industry leaders Matrix Fitness.
The gym opened to the public on Monday but will receive its official launch from Jackson, a double World 110m hurdles champion, who will be trying out the equipment for himself and passing on fitness advice to gym users.
Trainers will be conducting free fitness classes and mini workshops throughout the day, while visitors can also gain nutritional advice, have a sports massage and try out the new body composition machine.
There will be a host of competitions too, with prizes to be won. One of them is a medicine ball throwing challenge against Strength & Conditioning Coach Luke Vella, with all money raised going towards funding knee surgery for Team Bath judoka Jemima Duxberry.
Fellow Strength & Conditioning Coach Bob Smith will also be running a half-marathon on a treadmill – his 35th half-marathon of the year as he raises money for the Wallace & Gromit Grand Appeal at Bristol Children’s Hospital.
Team Bath staff will be handing out promotional vouchers for personal training, physiotherapy and sports massage, while Skins will also be selling sportswear on the day.
The new Matrix equipment that visitors will be able to enjoy includes aura strength products, S-Drives, Functional Trainers and Krankcycles, plus 7xi generation products including treadmills, ellipticals, upright bikes, ascent trainers and a ClimbMill.
Throughout the day
- 8am-5pm: Kettlebells workshops (every hour except 11am – book classes on the day)
- 9.30-10.30am: Physio triage sessions (15 mins each – book on the day)
- 11am: Colin Jackson officially opens gym
- 11am-12pm: Massage tasters (15 mins each)
- 11.45am-12.15pm: Nutrition workshop
- 12.30-1.30pm: Physio triage sessions
- 1.30-2.15pm: Massage tasters
- 3.45-4.45pm: Physio triage sessions
- 4.15-4.45pm: Nutrition workshop
- Members’ evening: Tea and cake with the Team Bath Memberships Team
- Throughout the day: Team Bath sport scientists will be available to answer any questions on physiology testing
For free access to the gym, users must register with reception & complete a PAR-Q