Volunteer Zambia – Developing People, Inspiring a Nation
The University of Bath, through the Department of Sports Development & Recreation, is part of the Wallace Group who have a strong partnership for the effective delivery of the Volunteer Zambia project.
University of Bath students have the opportunity to spend six weeks volunteering in the heart of Lusaka, Zambia in a sports development capacity working with our partner NGO Sport in Action.
Successful Student Sport Development Officers will focus on ONE of the following areas during 2018:
- Community Sport Outreach Workers – Creating sustainable community sport hubs via outreach work with local community groups to encourage young people to participate in sport & physical activity, to identify & train young Zambian leaders and volunteers and create community based hubs that deliver sports leagues and competitions.
- Community Sport Activators & Coaches in Volleyball, Netball & Basketball – to get young people active and have a positive first introduction to sport.
- Pathway & Talent Development Coaches in Volleyball, Netball, Basketball & Football – working with the Zambian national federations for each sport to deliver high quality coaching and upskill current Zambian volunteers.
- Officials – in Volleyball, Netball, Basketball & Football – to help train and upskill others.
- Sport Science Support – to help support the talent programmes at the Olympic Youth Development Centre within S&C coaching or performance analysis.
- Sports Management & Leadership – to deliver agreed sport management projects (The setting up of sports leagues & competition structures within community sport hubs, policy & procedures etc).
- Event Management – to review current practise, strategy, create improvement & implementation plans.
- Marketing & Communications – to review current practise, create a strategy, improvement plan & implementation plan.
- Bid Writing & Fundraising – to review current practise, create a strategy and bid proposal frameworks, improvement plan & implementation plan.
- Disability & Inclusive Sport – to support the delivery and upskilling of volunteers within disability sport.
- Female Ambassadors & Female Leadership in Sport – to encourage & empower female leaders and participants.
- PE practitioners – to help to train Zambian staff & support the delivery / development of PE sessions.
Apply now for summer 2018
We are looking for four student volunteers who wish to leave their comfort zone and challenge themselves – individuals who have an ambition for a career in PE teaching or coaching and are passionate about volunteering and international development – to lead on this year’s project in Lusaka between June and September 2018.
Deadline: 13th October 2017 (interviews take place week commencing 17th October 2017)
For more information or to discuss please contact S.E.Thomas@bath.ac.uk.
All updates related to the project can be found on the Wallace Group Universities’ website: www.wallacegroupuniversities.com