The University of Bath was the first UK university to offer sports scholarships and today 36 student athletes who have displayed potential for success both academically and athletically are currently benefiting from our scholarships – including 15 new scholarships awarded during the 2018-19 academic year.
Our scholarships give talented young people the opportunity to benefit from Bath’s world-leading sporting and academic environment.
Scholarships are available to student athletes who have the potential to contribute to the University of Bath’s BUCS points.
Some of the country’s top athletes have benefited from our scholarships, including London 2012 Olympic silver medallists Michael Jamieson (swimming) and Samantha Murray (modern pentathlon) plus PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympic bronze-medallist Dom Parsons (skeleton). Rio 2016 Olympian Joe Choong, who combined studying Mathematics with competing at international level for Pentathlon GB, explains how a scholarship has helped his career in this video:
The University currently offers several different sport scholarship types for which students can apply (given that they meet the necessary requirements). These are:
|Scholarship||No. available||Funding offered||Eligibility|
|Bill Whiteley||One||£5,000 p/a (up to five years)||Click here|
|Ivor Powell||One||£2,000 p/a (up to three years)||Click here|
|King||One||£4,000 p/a (up to four years)||Click here|
|Santander||Six||£2,000 p/a (up to three years)||Click here|
|Thompson Education Trust||One||£1,250 p/a (up to two years)||Click here|
|Trendell||Two||£1,000 p/a (up three years)||Click here|
To be eligible for a scholarship athletes must:
- be studying or have applied for a course at the University of Bath;
- demonstrate the potential to compete at elite level internationally and contribute to the University’s British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) points;
- be recommended by their own coach and/or the University’s coach in their sport;
- meet the criteria for the Team Bath Dual Career Programme.
Athletes on scholarships lasting more than one academic year will continue to receive their scholarship throughout their University course subject to an annual academic and sporting review.
How to apply
Applications for the 2019/20 Scholarship Scheme are now open. Current and potential students are eligible to apply and full details can be found on the application form – click here to view and complete.
Current University of Bath sporting scholars
|Athlete name||Sport||Scholarship||Year first awarded|
|Tom Dean||Swimming||Bill Whiteley||2018-19|
|Sophie Drakeford-Lewis||Netball||Bill Whiteley||2017-18|
|Tom Derbyshire||Swimming||British Swimming||2017-18|
|Ben Jones||Tennis||Buchan Jones||2017-18|
|Cara Clarke||Rugby union||Ivor Powell||2018-19|
|Harriet Evans||Golf||R&A Golf Scholarship||2017-18|
|Jazmine Butcher||Alpine Skiing||Santander||2016-17|
|Jack Davies||Rugby union||Santander||2018-19|
|Charlie Follett||Modern Pentathlon||Santander||2018-19|
|Georgia Hannam||Modern Pentathlon||Santander||2016-17|
|Nicholas Moynihan||Alpine Skiing||Santander||2014-15|
|Emma Stacey||Clay-Pigeon Shooting||Santander||2016-17|
|Hugo Stiles||Rugby union||Santander||2016-17|
|Bradley Sutton||Modern Pentathlon||Santander||2016-17|
|Ben Claridge||Athletics||Thompson Education Trust||2018-19|
|Caleb Ralston||Tennis||Thompson Education Trust||2018-19|
|Jordan Ainslie||Rugby union||Trendell||2017-18|
|Beck Cutting||Rugby union||Trendell||2017-18|
|Tom Doughty||Rugby union||Trendell||2018-19|
|Myles Pillage||Modern Pentathlon||Trendell||2017-18|
- “Scholarship funding helps with equipment, food, general living costs and travel which can be really expensive – especially when you’re going to one meet a month. The facilities here are pretty much ideal. We have everything we need in the gym, it’s right by the pool, it’s a five minute walk from my accommodation, and so it’s as good as it can be.”
–Tom Sinclair (swimming), Bill Whiteley scholar
- “The University of Bath is so good for my course, has a great netball set-up and I love the sporty vibe. That’s why I chose to come here. It’s also flexible – when I was called up to play for England U21s for a tour to South Africa, I had an exam scheduled for the week after but I rearranged that exam and everything worked out fine.”
–Imogen Allison (netball), King scholar
- “Being awarded a scholarship is a massive confidence boost. To have someone say that they believe in your ability is huge for your self-belief. There’s no better place than the University of Bath for letting you train at a high level, undertake the degree you want to do and offer you this level of support.”
–Sarah Collin (modern pentathlon) – Thompson scholar
- “I have to say a massive thank you to Team Bath, Pentathlon GB and the rest of my support team for helping me get to number one, I couldn’t have done it without them. I’m supported by a Santander Sports Scholarship and the Team Bath Elite Athlete Fund which has allowed me to compete in Qatar, Serbia and Switzerland this season, as well as domestically. That support makes a huge difference.”
–Tom Edwards (fencing) – Santander scholar
Provide a scholarship
Information for businesses interested in funding a scholarship can be found on our business opportunities page.