Applications are now being taken from current and potential students for the 2018/19 Scholarship scheme – see below for details.
The University of Bath was the first UK university to offer sports scholarships and today 56 student athletes who have displayed potential for success both academically and athletically are currently benefiting from our scholarships – including 22 new scholarships awarded during the 2016-17 academic year.
Our scholarships give talented young people the opportunity to benefit from Bath’s world-leading sporting and academic environment.
Scholarships are available to student athletes who have the potential to contribute to the University of Bath’s BUCS points.
Some of the country’s top athletes have benefited from our scholarships, including London 2012 Olympic silver medallists Michael Jamieson (swimming) and Samantha Murray (modern pentathlon). Rio 2016 Olympian Joe Choong, who combines studying Mathematics with competing at international level for Pentathlon GB, is among our current scholars – he explains how it has helped his career in this video:
The University currently offers six different sport scholarship types for which students can apply (given that they meet the necessary requirements). These are:
|Scholarship||No. available||Funding offered||Eligibility|
|Trendell||Two||£1,000 p/a (up three years)||Click here|
|King||One||£4,000 p/a (up to four years)||Click here|
|Santander||Six||£2,000 p/a (up to three years)||Click here|
|Bill Whiteley||One||£5,000 p/a (up to five years)||Click here|
|Thompson Education Trust||One||£1,250 p/a (up to two years)||Click here|
To be eligible for a scholarship athletes must:
- be studying or have applied for a course at the University of Bath;
- demonstrate the potential to compete at elite level internationally and contribute to the University’s British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) points;
- be recommended by their own coach and/or the University’s coach in their sport;
- meet the criteria for the Team Bath Dual Career Programme.
Athletes on scholarships lasting more than one academic year will continue to receive their scholarship throughout their University course subject to an annual academic and sporting review.
How to apply
Applications for the 2018/19 Scholarship scheme are now open, for both returning students and anyone applying to study at the University of Bath during that academic year.
- Applicants must meet the above criteria to be eligible.
- You can apply for a sports scholarship even if you haven’t yet been offered a place to study at the University of Bath in 2018-19 or you can wait until your place is confirmed – it’s up to you!
- Each of the Scholarships has different terms and conditions – click here to read them in full (previous T&Cs available by clicking here).
- Students or potential students who think they meet the necessary criteria should submit one application by filling in an online form (link below).
- A panel will review the applications and decide which Scholarships are suitable based on course of study, sport and performance level.
- All applications received before April 6th 2018 will be considered for an early Scholarship – even if you haven’t formally accepted a place to study yet. Only candidates of exceptional calibre will be offered a scholarship during this time frame.
- If you don’t hear from us before April 6th, this doesn’t mean you haven’t been successful – we will reply to all other candidates in October 2018.
- If you aren’t successful in the first year of applying, don’t worry – you can re-apply each year of study!
- Once you have applied for a Sports Scholarship, how about applying for our Dual Career Programme too?
|Athlete name||Sport||Scholarship awarded|
|Tom Derbyshire||Swimming||British Swimming|
|Anna Hopkin||Swimming||Thompson Education Trust|
|Ben Jones||Tennis||Buchan Jones|
|Myles Pillage||Modern Pentathlon||Trendell|
|Athlete name||Sport||Scholarship awarded|
|Thomas Sinclair||Swimming||Bill Whiteley|
|Sarah Collin||Modern Pentathlon||Thompson|
|Jazmine Butcher||Alpine Skiing||Santander|
|Georgia Hannam||Modern Pentathlon||Santander|
|Bradley Sutton||Modern Pentathlon||Santander|
|Emma Stacey||Clay Pigeon Shooting||Santander|
Current scholars’ testimonials
- “Scholarship funding helps with equipment, food, general living costs and travel which can be really expensive – especially when you’re going to one meet a month. The facilities here are pretty much ideal. We have everything we need in the gym, it’s right by the pool, it’s a five minute walk from my accommodation, and so it’s as good as it can be.”
–Tom Sinclair (swimming), Bill Whiteley scholar
- “The University of Bath is so good for my course, has a great netball set-up and I love the sporty vibe. That’s why I chose to come here. It’s also flexible – when I was called up to play for England U21s for a tour to South Africa, I had an exam scheduled for the week after but I rearranged that exam and everything worked out fine.”
–Imogen Allison (netball), King scholar
- “Being awarded a scholarship is a massive confidence boost. To have someone say that they believe in your ability is huge for your self-belief. There’s no better place than the University of Bath for letting you train at a high level, undertake the degree you want to do and offer you this level of support.”
–Sarah Collin (modern pentathlon) – Thompson scholar
- “I have to say a massive thank you to Team Bath, Pentathlon GB and the rest of my support team for helping me get to number one, I couldn’t have done it without them. I’m supported by a Santander Sports Scholarship and the Team Bath Elite Athlete Fund which has allowed me to compete in Qatar, Serbia and Switzerland this season, as well as domestically. That support makes a huge difference.”
–Tom Edwards (fencing) – Santander scholar
See who our scholars were for the 2015/16 academic year [PDF]
See who our scholars were for the 2014/15 academic year [PDF]
See who our scholars were for the 2013/14 academic year [PDF]
Provide a scholarship
Information for businesses interested in funding a scholarship can be found on our business opportunities page.