Current scholars’ testimonials
- “I have to say a massive thank you to Team Bath, Pentathlon GB and the rest of my support team for helping me get to number one, I couldn’t have done it without them. I’m supported by a Santander Sports Scholarship and the Team Bath Elite Athlete Fund which has allowed me to compete in Qatar, Serbia and Switzerland this season, as well as domestically. That support makes a huge difference.”
-Tom Edwards, British number one in the British Fencing epee rankings
The University of Bath was the first UK university to offer sports scholarships and today 50 student athletes who have displayed potential for success both academically and athletically have benefited from our scholarships.
The scholarships are supported by alumni and friends of the University who are passionate about giving talented young people the opportunity to benefit from Bath’s world-leading sporting and academic environment.
To be eligible for a scholarship athletes must:
- have been offered a place on a course at the University
- demonstrate the potential to compete at elite level internationally and contribute to the University’s British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) points
- be recommended by their own coach and/or the University’s coach in their sport
Athletes will continue to receive their scholarship throughout their University course subject to an annual academic and sporting review.
Trendell Sports Scholarships
The Trendell Sports Scholarships will be awarded annually on a competitive basis to sporting students who have elite performance potential in one of our priority sports, as well as able to contribute to BUCS points.
- Up to £1,000 per annum for 3 years (conditions apply)
- Applicants must compete in athletics, badminon, football, hockey, judo, netball, rugby, swimming or tennis.
- £3,500 per annum
- Athletes involved in any recognised sport can apply
Bill Whiteley Sports Scholarship
Mr William Whiteley, a graduate of the University of Bath, has agreed to donate a sum of money to the University in order to support one student each year throughout the duration of their degree programme. This student must be academically able and must possess outstanding sporting potential.
Students must be accepted on a full-time undergraduate degree of at least three years’ duration in the schools of Management, Faculty of Engineering and Design or the Department of Economics and must be able to make a positive impact on the University’s sports standing.
- £5,000 for one new scholar per annum, for up to 5 years
- Applicants from the UK or EU accepted on a full-time undergraduate degree in the schools of Management, Faculty of Engineering & Design or Department of Economics
Santander Sports Scholarships
The Santander Sports Scholarships are available for students who are studying at the University of Bath from the UK, or Iber-American or Iberian Peninsular countries who have the ability to become or have the current status as an elite international athlete.
- Up to £1,000 (conditions apply)
- Applicants must be from the UK, or Iber-American or Iberian Peninsula countries – any sport
- £4,000 per annum
- Applicants must be undertaking a course in the School of Management or a sport-related course in the Department for Health
British Swimming National Training Centre Scholarships
In 2012 a new swimming-specific scholarship to support new National Centre for Swimming athletes who study at the University was created to help them progress their joint pursuit of academic and swimming excellence at Bath.
The Bath NCS Scholarship award is open to talented new Bath NCS Swimmers who are studying at the University and who are not in receipt of any direct funding through the World Class Programme Athlete Personal Award or a Team Bath High Performance Scholarship Programme Award.
- Awards range from £1,000 to £3,000 per annum
- For swimmers studying for a degree of vocational programme at the University who train with the British Swimming NTC Bath
Thompson Education Trust Scholarships
- £1,250 per annum for two years
- Applicants must be a British citizen and undertaking a course in the Faculty of Science or Department for Health
- £1,250 for one year
- The preferred sports for this scholarship are badminton or hockey, and applicants must have compete at junior international level or above and be a UK national. Priority will be given to students with a household income of 42,630 or below
|Athlete name||Sport||Scholarship awarded|
|Thomas Sinclair||Swimming||Bill Whiteley|
|Sarah Collin||Modern Pentathlon||Thompson|
|Jazmine Butcher||Alpine Skiing||Santander|
|Georgia Hannam||Modern Pentathlon||Santander|
|Bradley Sutton||Modern Pentathlon||Santander|
|Emma Stacey||Clay Pigeon Shooting||Santander|
See who our scholars were for the 2015/16 academic year [PDF]
See who our scholars were for the 2014/15 academic year [PDF]
See who our scholars were for the 2013/14 academic year [PDF]
Provide a scholarship
Information for businesses interested in funding a scholarship can be found on our business opportunities page.