Creating future champions
Since 2003, the University of Bath has played host to a GB Rowing Team “Start” centre.
This Lottery-funded scheme identifies young people who have the potential to become Olympic champions and provides them with top-level coaching and support services, and the opportunity to row at both the University of Bath and Minerva Bath Rowing Clubs.
Since its inception, the centre at Bath has produced some outstanding alumni who have gone on to represent GB at U23 and international level.
Five athletes who were part of the Bath Start programme were involved in London 2012, including Heather Stanning and Helen Glover who made history by winning Great Britain’s first ever women’s rowing gold medals.
A list of Bath Start programme athletes who have achieved international honours to date are:
- Heather Stanning – 2012 Olympic Champion W2-, World U23 Gold and World Senior Silver (Sports Technology, 2007)
- Helen Glover – 2012 Olympic Champion W2- , world senior silver (with Stanning)
- Vicky Thornley –Women’s 8+ London Olympics 2012, World U23 Gold
- Marcus Bateman – Reserve London Olympics 2012, World Senior Silver (Sports Technology, 2005)
- Adam Freeman-Pask – Reserve London Olympics 2012, Triple World Cup Gold Medallist 2012 (Natural Science, 2006)
- Sam Courty – World U23 Silver (2014, women’s eight) and World U23 bronze (2015, women’s four) (Sports and Exercise Science, 2015)
- Dave Lyons – World U23 Championships 2006 (Sports Performance, 2007)
- Amelda Gare – World U23 Championships 2012 (Sports Performance, 2012)
University of Bath Rowing Club
The University of Bath also has a vibrant student rowing club which fields competitive crews for British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) events and at Henley Royal Regatta.
GB Rowing Start programme
The GB Rowing Team’s Start programme not only targets University of Bath students but also young people from year 10 upwards with or without a background in rowing but with the potential to be future Olympians.
If you live in the South West and are interested in rowing for Great Britain and think you have what it takes please contact your regional GB Rowing Team Start coach.
The scheme in Bath is organised by Dan Harris.
There are certain body types that favour different activities. We use a number of tests to determine whether candidates have potential or proved performance that means they can be trained in such a way that they could succeed at international level.
Start coach: Dan Harris